Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What was I thinking . . .

So I got a good idea. Why don’t we take a bunch of students, all from the top of their universities and put them in a giant competition with each other. The stakes, let’s set it at something high, lets say, prospects of having a successful career. They should be on a curve, meaning one doing better means another has to do worse. Let’s make it more interesting by not explaining the rules or giving the students any feedback on how they are doing relative to each other or how to do well in the competition. Success is met with more intense work from your adversaries. All of which constantly put pressure on everyone else. Additionally, In order to compete, you will need to study at least a modest, 8 hours a day. People begin to plan their entire schedule around the competition. They allocate more and more time into the competition. What if you just study occasionally? Well then you will probably lose. What if you value things other than the competition? You will lose. Any value for comedy? No. Any value for your humanity? No. Any excuses ever? No. This sounds like a great idea!!! People should sign right up.

Are you freaking kidding me?

This is insane. I want to . . .

LIVE A LIFE.

People may be nice outside of law school, but when people walk between the walls they are competitive assholes.

How does everyone buy into this bullshit?

5 Comments:

Blogger Useless Dicta said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Useless Dicta said...

Thanks for putting my latest feelings of contempt into words!!!

My suggestion: take the necessary time out for family, friends, and a little bit of relaxation every week. Studying 24/7 is the fastest way to self destruct and ultimately you have to both know the material and be able to have enough enegry left by the exam to focus and do well. My approach might not land me at the tip top of my class, but being number 1 isn't worth giving up my entire life for, I'll be happy with whatever I can manage while keeping my life outside of law school healthy.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Roonie said...

Not everyone does.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Sounds about right. Good luck with that "have a life" thing.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Counsellor in Cultivation said...

And we pay upwards of 100K for the festivities

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home